- Know how to create a lighting scheme. The right lighting can make a room full of heavy furniture feel light or a sparsely furnished room feel cozy.
2. Keep a split level home casual and neutral to create a cohesive feel.
3. Creat destinations, make sure a room is multi purpose, not just a conversation pit or a tv lounge.
4. Make a retreat in each room that another family member can enjoy.
5. Make the most of small spaces, try extending rooms to the outdoors to make them appear larger.
6. Showcase your personality, everyroom should have something that’s unmistakably yours.
7. Be innovative, rethink and re-use things to give them new life.
8. Permission to repurpose, don’t feel like you have to keep the dining table in the dining room, it might make a perfect desk, an old armoire might make a great display for your barware and wines.
9. A twist on tradition, sometimes a touch of whimsy can make an otherwise dull room pop.
10. Take time to live, no matter how beautiful the house if your to busy to enjoy it it’s a waste. Everything in you home should be conducive to your lifestyle.
*These tips are from designer Stephen Saint-Onge.